Down Payment Assistance Program
The purpose of Orange County's Down Payment Assistance program is to provide funds to qualified first time homebuyers for down payment and closing costs associated with purchasing a home. The program will provide assistance to qualified very low, low and moderate income persons in Orange County on a first come, first ready basis. The program also requires that potential homebuyers complete a pre-purchase and post-purchase education program.
The buyer must
- Meet the income requirements. Annual household income cannot exceed 120% of the area median income.
- Provide at least $1,000 of their own funds.
- Complete a home buyer's education seminar.
- Secure first mortgage financing.
The property must
- Be new or existing and located in Orange County, outside the city limits of Orlando.
- Not exceed a sales price of $219,000.
- Receive competitive fixed rate financing.
- Be fee simple ownership.
- Ranges from $20,000 to $35,000 depending on household income.
- The County's assistance is provided to the buyer's closing agent at closing in the form of a soft second mortgage at 0% interest which is forgiven after fifteen (15) years if the home remains owner-occupied.
- In addition, the total first mortgage and Orange County's second mortgage may not exceed 105% of appraised value.